Wednesday, 2 September 2026

Nine-Year-Old Nigerian Girl Takes Her Mathematics Lessons to TikTok

For Charlotte Muritala, a whiteboard, marker and smartphone are enough to turn a difficult mathematics question into a lesson for other children.

The nine-year-old JSS2 student from Offa, Kwara State, has attracted attention on TikTok for using the platform to teach mathematics, sharing lessons on subjects such as algebra, fractions and lowest common multiple.

Her approach is straightforward: take a complicated problem apart, deal with each section and work towards the answer one step at a time.

“First, I like breaking them into small part. That makes it easier for me. So I break it into small part, then I solve it,” Charlotte said during an interview with Channels Television on Monday.

The method is also what she relies on when she encounters questions she cannot immediately solve.

“Once I start solving the hard problem, if I am not getting it, I will go and choose the best method and start solving it step by step,” she said.

Charlotte’s interest in numbers began when she was about five years old. What started as a childhood fascination has grown into a strong academic interest and, now, a way of helping other young learners.

“I started liking mathematics since when I was small. I love mathematics because I enjoy numbers,” she said.

She does not regard the subject as something to fear.

“Mathematics is fun for me. Some questions are hard, but I like solving them,” Charlotte said.

Her mother has played an important role in taking that enthusiasm beyond school. Charlotte said her mother created another platform where she could share her knowledge with other children.

“My mum created another platform for me to share what I know to other children. I feel very happy and proud of myself,” she said.

At home, her father said, the commitment is evident in how much time Charlotte devotes to reading and learning.

“She’s always with mathematics. Every time, she’s always learning, reading every time,” he said.

Her academic focus has not changed the fact that she is still a child. Her father noted that Charlotte plays like other children her age, even though she takes her studies seriously.

“So she’s a child and she’s still nine years old. Sometimes she plays, but when it comes to reading, she doesn’t joke with it,” he said.

Her mathematics teacher has also recognised her ability, describing Charlotte as “a brilliant and erudite student” and pointing to her exceptional skills in mathematics.

According to the teacher, Charlotte’s willingness to tackle mathematical problems is one of the qualities that distinguishes her in the classroom.

“She has passion for solving mathematical problems. In all, she is an excellent and outstanding student,” the teacher said.

The teacher believes children who demonstrate exceptional academic ability should be given the resources to develop their potential, including qualified teachers, scholarships and adequate funding.

“If you want students to have interest in mathematics, secure the services of qualified teachers, give them scholarships and proper funding,” the teacher said.

Charlotte has been described in some circles as a “maths genius” because of her online lessons and ability to explain mathematical concepts. However, that remains a media or social-media label, not a formally established assessment of her abilities.

For children who struggle with mathematics, Charlotte's own experience offers a simple lesson: difficulty should not be mistaken for defeat.

“My advice to them is to never give up. They should keep practising every day and don’t be afraid of mistakes,” she said.

At nine, Charlotte is already using something she enjoys to help other children learn, a small but striking example of how talent, encouragement and access to simple digital tools can open new possibilities for young Nigerians.

No comments: