Sunday 29 June 2014

Meet UNILAG’s 24-Year-Old Ph.D Graduate Who Ran Two Undergraduate And Masters Degree Concurrently

    Excerpts...

24-year-old Olaoluwa Hallowed Oluwadara will pass for a prodigy. Born in 1989 in Central African Republic, he bagged his Ph.D in Mathematics at the recently held 2012/2013 University of Lagos Convocation Ceremony and earned a 5.0 in his research topic. He bagged his first and second degrees in Mathematics and Physics in the years 2007 and 2008 respectively from the Universite de Bangui in CAR. He hails from Ekiti State, and is the last of three boys in the family. He concluded his primary school at the age of nine. Got admitted into secondary school at the age of 10. Hallowed got promoted from JSS 2 to SS1 and on completion of the class, got another double promotion to SS3 because his abilities were deemed far beyond the class he was. MOYOSORE SOLARIN spoke to him.

What informed your choice of coming back for your Doctorate degree in Nigeria, having obtained all your previous degrees including masters in Central African Republic?

Firstly, I will like to say that when I finished my masters degree, I applied to a university in France, Universite Paris VI, which is the top most university in France when it comes to Mathematics and I was admitted. I decided to come back to Nigeria because it is my home and I also wanted to have a feel of how the system here is, like they say, there is nowhere better than home.

With your experience so far, how well will you say the Nigerian education system is doing?

They have access to current research, materials, articles and journals across the globe. They have the privilege of conferences around the world. Like during my Ph.D programme I attended one conference in the United States. And then there are lots of scholarships available, general financial support, actually it is not like you are really being supported but some people have been able to enjoy the opportunities. So, like I said, Nigeria is trying. Although, we can do better in terms of background because as far as Mathematics is concerned, French speaking countries have a more solid background, they inherited from that traditional rigorous kind of system, but I believe we can catch up in that aspect and even do better.

Young people are generally known to get easily distracted, coupled with the fact that the vices for distraction are more all over the place these days, the internet, social media and even the opposite sex. How did you overcome them?

Firstly by making myself busy, for example I took two undergraduate degrees concurrently and later two masters degrees also at the same time because I wanted to compete differently and achieve something great also because that would give me little time for things that may cause distractions. Secondly, Christianity had an impact, we are always taught in church; from read the Bible, and at home to shun youthful lust, youthful passion and what have you. So anytime I notice I may be getting distracted, I know how to caution myself. So in a lot of ways, Christianity really did help me as well.

Being so young and dealing with so much academic work load. How were you able to still achieve such outstanding successes?

Definitely there is the God factor; i owe all of my success to Him. There is no way i could have done it without Him. I remember those day my parents will call me and tell me “your name is Hallowed, it means consecrated; you are consecrated unto God” and so on. But speaking in the secular sense, I. I must also add that my being so young somehow contributed to my performances, with a fresh brain and has little to worry about. So as long as there is focus, it is easier to think and be more dedicated for a young person. It was more of an advantage than a disadvantage for me.

What informed your love for mathematics so much that was what you studied for your doctorate degree?

Right from time, I have always been good at calculation. Though, I was also good at other subjects but I loved calculation; so my parents, on noticing that, channelled my orientation towards it. So just t felt like it was the natural choice to make. After my secondary school, I did not even think twice about it, I chose Mathematics for my undergraduate degree and since I did not want to let go of it, I pursued it to my PhD level.

After your doctorate degree now, what is the next step for you? Do you have interests in lecturing?

I am definitely interested in the lecturing job. My dream is to be a lecturer and also a researcher you know, work with various research groups and centres. I would also involve myself in consulting jobs for firms but that would be a side thing.

A lecturer at the University of Ibadan recently said the academia should gear their research work more towards imparting addressing issues and imparting positively on the society. Having gotten a 5.0 in your PHD research how is that going to impact on the society?

It is quite difficult to adapt or apply every result in Pure Mathematics to solve real life problems. It is a challenge and like I said during my convocation speech my research at the PhD level was on the six point theory, it has applications in computer science like when you talk about optimisation of algorithms, allocation of bands width in networking etc. It also has application in economics, in the aspect of equilibrium that is the balance between demand and supply. The application might not be so direct or obvious, it will take a process to transfer the result into a real life situation or concrete thing. it is something I want to do as further research and now that I have a PhD I will feel less pressure and have more time to achieve that.

What is your source of inspiration?

God, definitely. It is true Nigeria is a very religious country and people often think it is normal to say God in this regard, but His role cannot be over emphasised because there are a lot of times that my brain will feel dry and when I ask God for wisdom, it actually really works but of course not by magic. When you are focused on something, a problem or whatever, when you keep thinking about it and how to bring about a solution; with dedication, and putting your mental faculty into it, inspiration will definitely come.

Being aged 24 and having achieved so much. Do you see yourself getting married anytime soon?

I will say I am waiting for God’s leading on that. Although, it is one of the projects I have in mind for the nearest future.

The general belief is that to achieve the kind of feat you have, one has to pay little or no attention to all else, was this the case with you or were you able to combine your academics with social activities?

I keep saying it everywhere that I am a social person. I go to church and ofcourse that is being social.

Going to church is not being social that is being religious.

Okay, you are right. I definitely don’t attend parties. When one is already so busy with academic work and church activities, I believe it would be unwise to attend parties and all that, but I do attend weddings once in a while.

Who is or are your role models?

My role models are my parents. I want to be like them. I learnt a lot of lessons from them, humility, living a prayerful life, thinking big and much more. My dad will tell me things that I can achieve that the possibility of achieving such seems so bleak to me but he will encourage me and tell me that I can do it. Then I have my pastor, the General Overseer of Deeper Life Bible Church, Pastor W F Kumuyi; with his teachings, I learnt a lot of things and that shapened my life. I also have my supervisor, when it come to academics, Professor Johnson Olaleru, I learnt a lot from him and I believe that by God’s grace i will be able to emulate his moral values and at the same time his academic excellence.

As an expert in the field of Mathematics, you know the subject is the most dreaded and most failed subject among students. What is the reason behind this general phobia and how can it be worked on?

I think Mathematics requires a lot of reasoning, a lot of brain tasking and people often want to remain in their comfort zone, so they don’t buy the idea of anything that will task their brain; from there the phobia develops and then that phobia is accentuated by a lack of solid background. A lot of primary and secondary schools do not have good Mathematics teachers, so when students are not taught well, when they get to the examinations, it comes as difficult, whereas, they have not been properly taught. The antidote is just develop a liking for challenges, indulge in brain teasing exercises and brain tasking work. If someone likes challenges and competitions, he will like Mathematics naturally, that is the first step. Secondly, a good background is very important, if the teacher at school is not good enough, students can find a mentor at home, a senior student or class mate who is more knowledgeable in the subject or even parents. The next thing is to push the fear away and treat the subject like every other; there is really no reason to be afraid of the subject. When one has the necessary tools to succeed in it, then why not?

Well it is easy for you to say because you are a natural genius at the subject?

(LAUGHS). Well I will like to say that during my primary school days, I was not always first. There were times that I was first but I was not always first; then I was just an average regular student. If people say that I am a genius, then I am telling you that anybody can become a genius by hard work and determination.

Tribune.

2 comments:

Olasumbo Ajibola said...

Great! Long live Dr Hallowed

nhuthuy said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

Giaonhan247 chuyên dịch vụ mua hàng mỹ từ dịch vụ order hàng mỹ hay nhận mua nước hoa pháp từ website nổi tiếng hàng đầu nước Mỹ mua hàng ebay ship về VN uy tín, giá rẻ.