Monday 23 June 2014

Nigerians are the melting pot of fashion - Bello

Toyin Bello-Mc Caughn, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of JCONCEPTZ.com, is a US trained and registered nurse turned fashionista. In this chat with YEMISI AOFOLAJU she submits that Nigerians, irrespective of their ethnicity love to look good. Excerpts:

What prompted the birth of JCONCEPTZ ?
My mother is a textile trader, so while growing up, I helped her a lot with choosing textile designs and also marketing them during school vacations and weekends. I would say that was where I developed my first love for shopping and marketing. I moved to the United States and became a registered nurse, but my love for shopping and fashion didn't wane. So, I started shopping for myself, family and friends. 
People started consulting me when they had special occasions and I was doing this free of charge with joy. I also enjoyed travelling a lot with my younger sister who also happens to be my best friend. She also enjoys shopping and fashion. On a fateful day, while we were vacationing together in Dubai, shopping, talking and just having fun, the idea of this outfit was born and here we are.

What was your dream as a young girl?
My dream as a young girl was to follow in the footsteps of my mother. She is a great entrepreneur. She is also hardworking, resourceful, a Godly woman, great mother and wife. She built her first house in her late 20s back in the days when women were typically housewives.

Can you give an assessment of an average Nigerian fashion sense?
Nigerians are very embracing of fashion, we love colours and trends and an average Nigerian loves to look good no matter what. If you look at our cultural attires even during the ancient times, they were very vibrant and rich. I think it's in the nature of Nigerians regardless of ethnicity to look good. I love to tell people that if you want to know what fashion is trending globally, look at what Nigerians are wearing, we are the melting pot of fashion.

With global trends, are you of the opinion that Nigerian designers have arrived? 
Nigerian designers are doing well, they have started to gain international recognition. Macy's, one of the biggest stores in the world, now carries an African line designed by a Nigerian. Nigerian outfits are displayed in a lot of stores overseas, something never seen before. The Ankara textile, popular in West Africa, is being used by Nigerian designers to create great new styles that have become popular throughout the continent. It won't be long before the world starts looking up to Nigerians as the trend setters.

How do you get inspiration for your designs?
When I think about buying a new piece, I'm inspired by styles created by designers throughout the world. I usually consider how the design, pattern, quality of the fabric, and finishing of the outfit will appeal to African tastes. Affordability is also important. I don't think that it is necessary to “break the bank" in order to look good. The bottom line is, I look at every detail of every piece that I buy, and if I wouldn't be happy wearing it myself, I don't stock it. With a good eye for fashion and experience in shopping, you always find something great.

Can the fashion industry in Nigeria compete with its counterparts globally?
The fashion industry in Nigeria is growing in comparison with other fashion industries all over the world. In times past, you had to travel abroad to get decent clothing, but this is not the case anymore. A lot of stores have sprung up since then and with the new internet shopping, it is a lot more easier to shop. If we keep our borders open and allow easy trading across borders, I believe Nigerian fashion industry will boom beyond our imaginations.

Don’t you think that our penchant for low quality good’s will affect the industry?
I, honestly, do not believe Nigerians have a penchant for low quality goods at all. The economy has not been too great and although the middle class which drives the market is growing, there is still a lot of room for improvement. People can only spend what they have and times have been very tough in Nigeria. Hopefully, with good governance and a strong middle class, people would be able to afford more of what they really want and not be forced to make do with what they simply can afford.

Since you had your red carpet launch, what has been the response of the fashionistas?
We have had great response since our red carpet launch, things are looking up for Jconceptz.com. We are seeing an increase in followers and we have very loyal customers. We are very excited about the business and we hope to do very well and gain more recognition.

How affordable are your wares?
At jconceptz.com, the average Nigerian woman is our target market. Our goal is to leave no one behind when it comes to looking good. We want everyone to go on the website and find something that works for them and within their budget. We have also great sales, promotions and discounts throughout the year and the more you buy, the more you save.

What do you enjoy doing most?
I love travelling. I am equally a professional shopper, stylist and recreational athlete who loves fashion and is obsessed with fitness. Shopping particularly gives me a thrill like nothing else!

Acknowledgement : Tribune, TUN Extra

No comments: