Thursday 6 November 2014

Theodora Ibekwe-Oyebade Becomes The First Nollywood Personality In The UK To Be Conferred with A Chieftaincy Title


Multi-award winning PR Guru; Beauty Pageant CEO; TV Presenter; Promoter; Events Organizer; UK Nollywood Actress and Producer, Theodora Ibekwe-Oyebade has become the first Nollywood Personality in the UK to be conferred with a Chieftaincy Title.

On Sunday 30th November, His Royal Highness Eze (DR) H.U CHUMA (OON) alongside the Nollywood Igbo Forum, would honor Theodora with the chieftaincy title "ADA KA IBEYA NDIGBO” at the 3rd edition of IGBO AMBASSADORS AWARDS 2014 at the Hotel Presidential in Port Harcourt Nigeria.

Over the years, Theodora has worked very hard and indeed become an inspiration to her generation and a worthy mentor to many. She has adopted a selfless approach to life and has given of herself to many worthy causes.

Presently, Theodora Ibekwe has been nominated in Britain to feature in the Black British Business (BBB) power list 2015.


Chief  Mrs Theodora Ibekwe Oyebade is indeed deserving of these honors.


Below is an excerpt of her interview with Hilda Oti of African Rays Magazine:


Can you please tell us who Theodora Ibekwe Oyebade is, what part of Nigeria are you from (State, Local government), your family background, educational background etc?

TIO: Thanks for inviting me. I am from Imo State, born in Edo State. I come from a family of Educationist. I had a disciplined upbringing and followed the family line by studying Education at Auchi Polytechnic; later studying Accountancy at University of Lagos.

What motivates you?

TIO: My desire to put a smile on others’ faces. I am a strong Christian and, my love of God and the assurance that He leads and guides me in all good things motivates me to do the best that I can.

Today you a renowned actress, film producer and founder of Miss Elegant International Beauty Pageant, how did you get involved in beauty pageants and the Nollywood industry? How long have you been in both fields? And how did you get this far in the entertainment industry where many are just managing to stay afloat? What’s your secret?

TIO: There is no secret, just hard work and determination and once again, God’s grace. I organized, along with two other individuals, Miss Nollywood, in 2008. It inspired me to set up my own pageant, Miss Elegant International. I was already a TV presenter with Mr. Dayo Olomu and had become quite well known. I got involved in a TV serial, Everyday Life, which aired on OBE. My film career began in 2006, when producer, George Kelly Toghanro approached me at an event where I stood in impromptu as MC. He cast me as his lead along with Jim Iyke, in Heavy Mama in London.

You have done charity work for Love to Work Charity Organisation, you have also supported and helped in raising funds for Clarion Chukwura's charity, supported and helped in raising funds for Theodora Children’s Trust UK, and helped in raising funds for the John Utaka Foundation, can you throw more light on these fundraising activities, what’s the driving force behind this humanitarian work?

TIO: It’s about giving back. I have not arrived yet but my heart and upbringing has dictated that I do my best to alleviate the plight of the disadvantaged. I have had the privilege to be asked to support worthy causes and will continue to do so.

You also have many awards to your credit such as: Award of Excellence 2008, Love to Work Charity Organization Award 2008, M & M Award of excellence 2009, Personal Achievement Award 2010, Women in Enterprise Award 2010, Recognition Award 2010, Pride of the Motherland Award 2010, Special Industry Award 2011, Africulture Award 2011, Female Personality of the Year Award 2011, Life Changers Award 2011, African Entertainment Icon Award 2012, CEPAN Africa Award 2012, Gathering of Africa’s Best Award (GAB) 2012 , NEA Award 2013 , Zafaa Recognition Award,2013 and Lift Effects Award. How do you feel knowing that your hard work has been recognized and appreciated, how has the numerous awards influenced you?

TIO: I feel blessed. Again, there is so much more for me to achieve but it is so gratifying that my peers recognize my contribution to various industries. I keep my feet firmly on the ground though and I thank God always.

You are one of the most prominent women in the UK with such outstanding achievements in the Entertainment Industry, can you give a word of advice to others who wish to also come into the entertainment industry?

TIO: Hard work and perseverance. That is the key. A strong will is helpful and a belief in your ability. There will be numerous auditions and knock backs, never ever give up. When you do get in, please, please do not try to be a ‘Diva’ overnight. No matter how you are treated on set by other cast and crew, hold your peace and do not throw tantrums. When you have become a star, you could become a “Diva” but not before, as you will be black listed by directors and casting agents.



Acknowledgement: Chub Magazine, Nigerians in Paris Magazine, Tun Odunayo

No comments: