Monday 17 November 2014

How MUSON Scholar Excels in American Varsity

Photo: Moment of passionate singing for Agatha when she hits a top 'F' key and she found herself thrilled by the wonderful sound she produced #TunImages

Miss Agatha Ibeazor, a beneficiary of MTN Foundation scholarship scheme at the MUSON centre, Lagos, and a scholar of late Dr. Levi Ajuonuma, to study music at the Truman State University in the United States, where she bagged a degree in Music. In this interview, she spoke of her feat in Music in the USA and Sundry issues in education. By VICTOR AGI. Excerpts:

Tell us about your family and educational background?

I am a native of Ogidi in Anambra State, Nigeria and the fourth child of five children, born in Ebute Metta West, Lagos, on July 13, 1989. My siblings and I were raised by my mother, Mrs. Fidelia Ibeazor because my father, Chief Francis Ibeazor died when I was just four years old. My dad was a businessman; he imported commodities and was quite successful at it, but he died at the age of 39.

After his death, my mother started her own business of running a restaurant. That was how she was able to provide for us, but we were not able to maintain the same lifestyle that we had while my father was alive. My mum struggled to take care of us and sent us to good schools.

I attended Mount Carmel Catholic Primary School and Marywood Grammer School, both in Ebute Metta, Lagos. I graduated from Marywood in 2005. Consequently, I was admitted to study Law at Anambra State University, but I had to forgo it because my mother couldn’t afford the fees.

I did Grade One MUSON Theory of Music exam, at the MUSON School of Music, Onikan, Lagos, the same year I graduated from secondary school.

The MUSON School of Music was introduced to me by my then church choirmaster, the late Stephen Olarinde. When I could not afford to go to university, he told me about the MUSON Diploma school and said that the tuition expenses were paid for by MTN Foundation for admitted students. I got admitted to study at the school and attended for two years, completing my Associate Diploma degree and graduating with the Best Prize for Voice.

Two years after my graduation, I was awarded a scholarship by former NNPC Spokesman, the late Dr. Levi Ajuonuma.

Love for singing

This enabled me to attend Truman State University in the United States, where I just graduated from with honours (Magna Cum Laude) and received my Bachelor of Music degree.

When did you realise your love for singing?

I do not think I realised my love for singing, because I have been singing all along. As a matter of fact, my mother said that I sang before I talked. Singing was as natural as breathing to me. I remember as a three or four year old child, when I went to church with my aunt, I always looked back at the choir. I would ask my aunt; “When would I join the choir?” She would answer; “When you grow up.” I would ask her, “When will I grow up? Would I ever grow up?” My mom would also give testimonies of how I could not read, but I could sing the words of a book to any tune that came to my mind.

I was able to join the 8am choir of St Paul’s Catholic Church, Ebute-Metta, when I was just seven. I was too anxious and caused too much trouble, so my mom convinced them to let me join the youth choir. No member was as young as I was.

Essentially, I guess the answer to the question is that singing was such a natural and essential part of my existence that I did not even think about how I loved to sing ever since I was a toddler up until age 13. When I had performed a solo for the church choir, I realised that I actually loved performing in front of an audience and bringing joy to them through my singing. People applauded and one woman even cried.

Why are you more interested in the Opera as opposed to being a recording artist?

I am a Catholic and we are more associated with Latin Gregorian Chants, which is essentially the history of classical music. So, I have always been moved by soft, slow, and soul touching music by my association with a Catholic choir. For me, classical music does it. It has that power to make you cry, laugh, be melancholic, and confused all at the same time. Can you imagine an art form that can make you feel all these emotions at the same time and sometimes with just one performance? I am more interested in changing people’s lives with my voice than just to entertaining them. I believe classical music has the power to do this, because it changed my life.

There was a critical moment in my life. On one Easter Sunday, my mom and I happened to listen to a broadcast from the Vatican on the radio, and the singing of Handel’s I Know My Redeemer Liveth entranced us both. It was like the voice of God, as I have never heard anything like that. My mom was quiet throughout the entire performance, and afterwards my mom said; “I wish you could sing like that.” I have never forgotten what she said, and Ihave never forgotten that voice on the radio that changed my history.

Do you think Opera is popular in Nigeria?

No, it is not. Even some of my classmates at the MUSON Centre had discouraged me from pursuing classical music because of the fear of not being able to make a living. It is not just Nigeria, but around the world, the art form is dying. I feel it is my duty to preserve this beautiful art that can touch so deeply, and no country needs this kind of art form like Nigeria does!

How were you selected to benefit from the MUSON scholarship scheme given by the MTN Foundation to study music?


The advert was placed in newspapers and my choirmaster told me about it, as he was a beneficiary a year before.

I realised how this was a great opportunity for me to get some form of education, so I studied hard for a whole year on my own to prepare for the entrance exam and audition because I did not know much about music theory at that time. With a lot of hard work, I auditioned, did the written exam and when the results came out, I passed. I was one of the lucky people that got admitted as it is a highly selective process.

I am truly grateful to MTN Foundation as they did not only pay for my tuition but they gave me stipends for transportation which made going to school easier. The sponsorship by MTN gave way to my dream of becoming a Nigerian Opera singer.

How was your time in MUSON School of Music, Was it exciting or was it just about learning the rudiments of music?

It was a very exciting experience. The teachers there are very learned and they know the art well. They have some of the best teachers that the country and even the world can offer. Alongside learning the rudiments of music, we also had hands-on experiences.

Acknowledgement: Vanguard; Tun Telev
Source: Vanguard
Photo Choice: Tun Images

No comments: