Tuesday 22 July 2014

Yewande Gbadegesin - A Worthy Role Model


Nigeria is indeed blessed with a vast human capital. Presently, her female workforce world over has emphatically carved a niche for themselves as a formidable and reliable as well as competent human resource as more women are moving into fields that were once labeled - 'Men only' .

The Institute of Engineering and Technology Women's Network has interviewed a number of such inspirational women in engineering and technology, in order to highlight their achievements and show their routes into academia and industry. TUN would be bringing to you one of such interviews with Nigeria's Yewande Gbadegesin an Engineer and role model.


Q: What area of study did you specialize


A: MSc Advanced Control and Systems Engineering, BEng in Electrical Engineering


Q: What encouraged you to pursue a career in STEM?


A: I have always loved Mathematics. I decided to go for the sciences and I was very much encouraged by my parents and teachers as well. I think the most fascinating piece of technology to me at the time was the mobile phone. It was amazing how you could hear someone’s voice from across the world. I didn't end up in communication engineering but it was a no-brainer that I would do Engineering. I considered both Mechanical and Electrical Engineering when going to University. I eventually ended up with a BEng in Electrical Engineering and an MSc in Control Systems.


Q: What is your professional title and who do you work for?

A: I am on a graduate scheme within Siemens Rail Automation but I have performed roles of Design Engineer, Solution Architect and Safety Engineer on Railway Signalling and Control System project, in the last couple of years.


Q: What does a general day of work / university attendance consist of?


A: Sitting in front of two wide screen monitors… As a designer, I used the CAD tool to create and amend control tables and electrical diagrams. As a solution Architect, I did some business proposal writing and development of concept designs which would eventually go to the system designers to produce detailed drawings. As a Safety Engineer, I do a lot of analysis of data, brainstorm sessions, risk reviews, hazard identification and mitigation, writing safety justification reports.


Q: What do you enjoy about working in STEM?


A: Seeing my work come to life, knowing I was part of a team that developed or built a system that thousands of people benefit from. It is very satisfying.


Q: Can you think of a challenge that you have faced in industry or academia? If so, what was it and how did you overcome it?


A: I think the biggest challenge was from outside the industry (like social gatherings) where people did not just expect a girl to be interested in the subject. I had to make sure I developed a social circle of similar minded people, where I could talk about what I do and it would sound ‘normal’. The more ‘techie’ friends I had, the more confident I was to talk about my interests with any other set of people.


Q: Can you tell us about the achievements that you have made in industry or academia?


A: I believe having an MSc is an achievement in itself! I have also entered some IET PATW and IMechE Young Engineer Presentation competitions and won a few cash prizes for talking about what I do and how I contribute to development in my own way.


Q: What has been your greatest experience in industry or academia?


A: Every day I learn! Technology changes all the time. Attending brainstorm sessions and watching someone’s random bright idea materialize into a product or project is remarkable.


Q: Please tell us what you do to reach out women / girls in engineering industry or academia.


A: I do career fairs as often as I can, in my local area. I recently volunteered to be a mentor in the area local to my workplace.


Q: Did you / do you make use of a mentor? If so, how has this been of benefit to you and would you recommend the use of a mentor?

A: I have a professional mentor. He’s an IET chartered engineer. I have benefited from his experience by regular monthly chats. My advices – learn from their experience but make your own independent decisions. That has definitely worked for me.


Q: What advice could you give to existing or future women in STEM industry or academia?


A: If I did it, you can do it too! All it takes is a little bit of interest.


Q: Any other relevant information that you would like to add?


A; I am always ready for a good challenge and I get involved with all kinds of engineering activities available to me. I am mostly office based but I go out on site to assist with testing and commissioning activities whenever I get the opportunity. When on site, I ensure I participate fully. Though the 12-hour shifts (sometimes overnight) can be physically draining, I do my best to learn all that I can and apply my learning to other tasks. I believe it is possible to learn from any experience and this is a principle I live by. Whenever I do learn, I enjoy sharing. Many times, I try to find engineering link to everyday activities.


Acknowledgement: The Institution of Engineering and Technology, TUN TV

No comments: